Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dad can hunt as hard as he wants and run his Cats forever now!

 


Wallace Dyer Macomber, 78, of Kelseyville, CA died on June 24, 2013 at his home after a short battle with pancreatic cancer.  He was surrounded by family and friends. He was known to his friends as Wally, Wall, Wylie, or Big W, and probably some others I forgot or never knew about…but he was best known as Dad.

Wally was born on March 19, 1935 to Dora and Bruce Macomber in Fresno, CA. He was the oldest of 3 brothers (Bruce and Tom). Wally spent most of his childhood in Lake County but graduated High School in Berkeley. He went on to attend San Francisco State University and graduated with a degree in Physical Education. Shortly after college, Wally met Jean Frances Collier. They were later married and had two children, Molly and Matt. Wally loved his children with all the love any good father does. He provided everything he could for his children to be successful in life. Although they later divorced, Jean and Wally raised their children together, and remained close throughout his life.
 
Like most boys growing up in that era, Wally LOVED baseball. When he was 14 he became a lifelong fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates. He’d never been to Pittsburgh, but he became a Pirates fan because he shared a name with Pirates player, Wally Westlake. Knowing his illness was catching up with him, Wally spent this baseball season following the Pirates every day.

 Although Wally loved baseball, and loved to play it, he really wasn’t that good…a tough pill for him to swallow. However, he found his true athletic talent in the water. While at San Francisco State, Wally set several school records in swimming events and water polo. Wally attended the Olympic trials for Water Polo and barely missed the cut. Several of Wally’s records still stood until SF State discontinued their swimming and Water Polo programs. Wally was inducted into the San Francisco State University Athletic Hall of Fame in 1994.
After his undergraduate studies, Wally obtained a Masters Degree in Education, and his teaching credential. He started his teaching in the Richmond School District. He settled with his family in Napa, and later started teaching in the Napa School District. Wally taught High School math and science, and was instrumental in upgrading the Driver Education Program within the school District. Wally retired from teaching in 2004.

Besides his family, Wally had two other great passions; deer hunting and old Caterpillar tractors. He was happiest in the hot, dry Lake County brush in August, accompanied by his K9 partners, and riding atop one of his “Cats” pushing dirt in the hot sun.
Wally started hunting as a boy in Lake County. Wally is considered by many in the local hunting community as a legend. Wally only knew how to hunt one way; HARD! Over the years, many younger, “go-get-em” hunters tried to keep up with him, but most couldn’t. He was happy to share his knowledge with anyone willing to put in the time. Many hunters learned from him, but few could keep up with him.

It was a happenstance in the late 1980’s that joined Wally with one man that complimented his level of knowledge, skill, and style when it came to deer hunting in the unforgiving brush country. Ed (Eddy) Krueger and Wally spent well over 20 years as hunting partners. Eddy was the only man that could “go the long haul” with Wally. They each learned from each other and shared years of hunting success together. Eddy died in 2011.
The void left by Eddy’s death was eased a bit by the addition of Gary and Kathy Troike. Gary and Kathy shared Wally’s love of deer hunting, and the style in which to do it…with dogs. Gary and Kathy hunt hard…which is the way Wally likes it. They were his hunting partners until the end, and were with him when he died.

Wally’s passion for old Cats was equal to that of hunting. He began as a part time mechanic/operator for a small time vineyard operation in the hills of Napa in the mid-1970’s. That part time summer job eventually turned into a full time business. There are few people left on this earth that know as much about the old Cats as Wally. He was fortunate enough to befriend two such men; Jim Palmer and John Scott. Wally spent many happy days being greasy, hot, and dirty, either on or under, an old Cat.

Wally had a keen sense of humor, but was also not averse to a more…juvenile level of humor. One of his favorite things was his “fart” machine. He loved to break that out with “newcomers” to deer camp. Wally was a storyteller. He could regale everyone for hours around a campfire, telling one of thousands of hunting tales.
If there was one thing Wally loved more than hunting or Cats, it was his grandchildren: Joe (16) and Jillie (14) from Molly, and Carson (10) and Ella (8) from Matt. When they were around, he would light up in a way that few would ever see. They rejuvenated him. They made him laugh and smile, and he would revel in their energy.

Wally is survived by his (ex) wife Jean; his daughter, Molly (Stanley) of Weippe, Idaho; and his son Matt (Lisa) of Napa, CA. He is also survived by his grandchildren Joe and Jillie Stanley and Carson and Ella Macomber. Wally leaves behind his youngest brother Tom (Anna) Macomber of Lake County, CA.
Wally has several surviving friends, but there are too many to mention. Those friends, who knew him well enough, know who they are, and we love you and are thankful for all you have meant to Wally.

Wally has two remaining K9’s that will miss him; Jack and Jaydee. Jack will continue his ranch life as a ranch dog in Idaho, and Jaydee will continue her hunting life with the Troike’s.
Wally was predeceased by his parents; Dora and Bruce, and by the middle brother Bruce. Wally will be joining many friends with his passing; Eddy Krueger and Bill Simons are two that stand out, but there are more. Wally will also have a large pack of hunting dogs to manage as he is reuniting with; Bucky, Red, Milly, Yukon, LC, Katie, Wob, Cowboy, Sugar, Patty, and Buddy.

There are no services planned at this time. Wally’s wish was to be cremated, and the family will have a memorial and celebration of his life at a later date.
We could go on for literally pages and pages about Dad, but there just isn’t enough room. To that end, we would be very grateful to hear from you. We welcome any stories, remembrances, reminisces, or comments you have. We would love to hear anything you would like to say to the family.

Please share with us at: www.bigwmacomber.blogspot.com

Wally was a man’s man…with the soul of an old Indian medicine man.
 
We wish we had the words to accurately describe Wally and his life, but there really aren’t any words….You’d just have to know the man.
 





 

19 comments:

  1. Wally was my teacher in high school when I went to Temescal. He is one of the teachers that I have the most fond memories of. He was truly a one of a kind. He was one of the reasons that I graduated from high school as he helped me complete my math and science credits at my own pace. I will always smile when I think of Wallace as I used to call him. Im sure my fellow alumnis from Temescal can relate to how he used to screw with us all in class!! Rest in Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is with sincere sorrow that I learned this morning of Wally's passing. When I was barely a teen who had recently lost my dad, I met Wally on a hunting trip with my cousin. I desperately needed a man to show me the way. Then I got a call from Wally saying he liked the way I hunted, and asked if I'd like to go. That began a many years long relationship hunting together. There was the time when I was about 14 that he told me to drive the jeep, and follow him through the brush...I had never been behind the wheel of anything before, so he put it in granny, and he led me off a road cut so steep, I buried the front bumper in the road, and we had to winch out. He laughed so hard that "hee hee hee" laugh that it still rings in my ears today. There was the time we rolled his Jeep on it's side within yards of a Scout, I think it may have been Ed Kreugers, that had also rolled, going down the Pinery road at Cohasset. I hiked out and came back with a hippie in a duece-and-a half with no brakes to the rescue. There was the time when from the opposite side of Wildcat Canyon, I spotted two dogs so deep in the brush it looked like they must have dropped in from space. With hand signals, I got Wiley, and Tom Brown to them, and it turned out they were just half starved pups. Wiley couldn't help but keep one, and I think that was Milly. There was the time that Wiley told me that Yukon our buddy was the best he ever had, but he just wouldn't bark on trail. "Well Wiley", I said, "if I'm not mistaken Yukon is a Basenji...you know the famous barkless breed of dog. "AWWWH Tome", he said, "that must be it". Finally, the time Wiley had missed a buck. He was mortified, and said he just wasn't sure if his old Remington pump 30-06 was shooting straight. I said,"let me see that thing." You could see the barrel was bent so bad, you could have shot around corners. I think he might have suspected it, because he told me he did take a pretty good fall with it, but he truly loved the hunt and the, "being there", so much he wasn't going to give in to a bent barrel. That's when he bought his new Ruger. The week long camps we made in the Pinery are a precious memory to me of simpler times and wonderful people and unfortunately, something that just doesn't happen often anymore. But for the truest hunter I ever knew and me and many others it was some of the best of our lives. Wiley, I will miss you till the day I die. I never got to congratulate you on the that big buck, and believe it or not the magazine is open to your page in my living room to remind me to call you. You were an enormous part of my and many others personal history, and will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace Buddy, and I'll see you again some day.

    Tom Knippen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m saddened by Wally’s passing—what a great guy and dear friend. He has left me with many fond memories, one or two I would like to share. Pete Gadberry (also deceased), Wally and I went on a camping trip, NO not a hunting trip, and we weren’t even out of Napa when Pete and I had to talk Wally out of wanting to turn back because he was already feeling guilty about not working. Although we managed not to turn back, I was not convinced that he was able to shake off the guilt during the whole trip.

    Wally and I were members of a group that met several times a month. We would have dinners together taking turns at each other’s house before the meeting. His fried eggs and bacon always tasted good (a bit of his Scotch blood manifesting itself) but compensated with his venison burgers (thanks Wally), both were a treat because of his company.

    Wally consistently thanked me for suggesting that he transfer his teaching assignment from Napa High to Tamescal High School which he claimed was the highlight of his teaching career. I felt so pleased that I was able to help such a dear friend find his career niche even though it seemed like no great effort on my part, but his thanks and appreciation always put me on cloud nine.

    Before I moved to Georgia I called Wally to see if he could take one of Pete’s outdoor sculptures since I did not have room for it in the truck. He was happy to oblige me and have something of Pete’s. He called me later to tell me he started crying (as I am doing now) knowing that we would probably not see each other again—sadly, so true. Tom Dermody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words describing your dad's life. I would like to be on the list for a celebration of it and will add my comments later.
    ooxoxoxoxoauntiepat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought a lot about wally he was my science teacher at temescal. he is one of my all time favorite teachers ever. he loved teaching and loved teaching the kids that were given a "second chance" at their educations. thank you wally you will be missed. xoxooxoxoxoxox Rebecka roth espinoza

    ReplyDelete
  6. My heart too feels heavy with the loss of a dear man and long time special friend! Sending love and support to Molly, Matt and families during this time of sadness...stories to follow... in the meantime, I'm grateful Big W touched my life with the gift of being who he was to each and everyone who knew him in all areas of his life! Thank you Wally for your friendship, love and support through the years, sure gonna miss you! We didn't talk often, but we could alwys pick up where time left off and had comfort knowing you were there, somewhere, doing your thing! Whether it was fixing, driving, packing, hunting or spending time with family and friends. I can smile knowing you are out chasing Bucks now with your furry kids leading the way! <3 Kim (Beadleston) Moore

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grandpa, You have taught me how to be a better person. We shared good times and bad times,especially while we were going through our move down to California so mom could get a job to get money. You took the three of us in when we didn't know where to go,and I will always treasure the time we spent together. You loved us all so much. I am greatful for all that you have given me. I will love and miss you and will always reamember your freanliy face. I feel blessed to have known you. I will always love you.

    Your Grand doughter,
    Jillian (Jillie) Elaine Stanley :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One story I remember is the trip to Lake Havasu!! With Wally's LOVE for the water and heat, it's no wonder he would lay on the back deck of Molly's boat in the blazing sun to "catch" as many rays as possible in his speedos, while the rest of us huddled in the shade under the canvas!! I think he was the only one who could sleep in the 106 degrees at 3am!! As Tom said, I to can still hear the "hee hee hee" from Wally. I know how much he loves his kids and I have no doubt how GREAT his love is for his grandkids!! I'm very lucky and glad that I was able to share some of my life with Wally. He and I had our love for dogs in common. I'm thankful I was able to talk to Wally in the last couple of months. I'm sure he will see my dad and they can share their hunting stories!! To Molly, Matt and the rest of the family I hope you can find peace and carry every memory close to your hearts. Thanks Wally for being "wonderful you"!! Kathy Elton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losing a loved one is always hard. Sometimes the release is a relief because the person who dies finally has no more pain, no more suffering nor troubles nor worries. The body is gone, but the spirit lives on in us daily; not only in little, unexpected reminders, but in indelible memories of the person we've lost.
    I remember Wally before he was Molly and Matt's dad and Joe and Jillie's and Carson and Ella's granddad. I remember one fine day in Berkeley when Jean and I drove on the Arlington just to see if we could get a glimpse of Wally in front of the house. Sure enough, there he was in the steep driveway tinkering with his pickup. Then, after Molly's arrival and before Matt's, I remember to my horror Jean and Wally, both excellent swimmers as alluded to above, literally throwing the nine month old Molly in the deep end of the swimming pool in Sonoma. Did she sink? Non! she paddled happily on the surface just as they knew she would. I remember reading In The Night Kitchen to Matt before bed in the same house in Napa where Wally set up a horseshoe game in the back yard. I remember him shaking his head in amazement time after time as I, who never practiced, beat him at his own game. For sure he loved his grandkids, but he loved his kids too. I
    remember when Matt and Molly were about Carson and Ella's age hooting and howling as their dad chased them around the house and threw them on the bed and tickled them until they pleaded for mercy. It was fun, it was energetic, it was loving. Wally will always be a part of them and of me too and of anyone else whose life he touched deeply.
    Rest in peace, Wally, secure in the knowledge your beloved Pirates are winning. Go Giants!
    luvauntiepat

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have fond memories of Mr. Macomber and was very sad to hear of his death. As a teacher's kid I would never have dared to call him by his first name or any variation thereof! I had him for Driver's Ed and enjoyed his no nonsense style in the classroom and conversely how approachable and friendly he was outside of class. He commanded respect. He is still the only person I have met (so far) to insist on his pacemaker being placed in such a location as not to interfere with his backpack and hunting gear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wally would dance for us in math class:) I think of him randomly and laugh, he is one of the best memories I have of high school. Sayonara Wally, RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great friends are hard to find, difficult to leave and impossible to forget.

    We have been truly blessed by Wally’s friendship. Most of our time together was spent at deer camp, getting up extra early in A Zone to be on the road before daylight. Our early morning drives down Bartlett Springs Road under the stars in the Jeep will always be special memories to us. Bundled up in coats and gloves “heaters on”, he would say, as we ate our egg biscuits. “Great Breakfast,” he always said! We always had a good day trying to find a deer for the dogs to run.

    This year after Wally got his diagnosis, we got to share another part of our dear friend’s life. Wally loved to hunt and he loved his family!!! We got to spend time with Molly, Matt, Grandkids, Jean and Karen. We were Welcomed into this loving family. What a blessing. Thank You Wally. We will never sit by a camp fire or hear the music of the dogs running without remembering you. We will miss you.

    The last of the Great Dog Men, rest in the arms of the Lord.

    Love you our friend
    Gary, Kathy, Bob, Gert and JD

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Wally's Family and Friends,

    I first met Wally in June of 1972 when we bought new houses next door to each other and immediately became friends. He was into making root beer and would try to sell it to the neighbors which no one would pay the nickel he was asking. He then tried to give it away and still no takers but lots of laughs over it. That fall and many others he took Fred hunting in Lake County and would always say to me as they drove out they would be careful with the guns and the dancing girls. I'm not sure about the girls but they always came back safe and very hungry. Wally would do the shopping and tried once to feed the camp veggie burgers which no one would eat not even the dogs. He took a lot of flak over that one. We moved out to Big Ranch Rd. in 1978 and lived there for the next 30 years and Wally didn't let too much time pass before he would stop to visit and have a beer while catching up on the latest news. We were always happy to see that old blue and white truck full of dogs pull in the driveway. He taught our son to drive and tried to teach him a little math. We moved to Colorado when Fred became ill and Wally would either call or email as always keeping in touch and offering his support. He gave a very moving speech at Fred's funeral service which I and the kids really appreciated. I met my currant partner Ray Atkinson who had a home in Kelseyville so I was able to reconnect with Wally and show Ray what a great guy and friend he was. Ray says he is sorry he didn't know him a lot sooner.
    When all we leave behind is memories Wally you left so many great ones. Thank you for being my friend all these years, I will never forget you,
    Love Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where do I begin? Wally, my father in law, aka Grampa in our home, was truly a one of a kind. One of thee most stubborn men I have ever met, (a trait he passed down to his son, thanks for that grampa!). However, one of thee most funny and gentle man I have met, if he let you see that side.

    Grampa would come visit and it was certain he would nap on the couch only after of course he allowed his grand kids to climb all over him while he played "boreo, boreo, boreo, stick a fat pig" which to this day I don't understand the phrase but he would just have them giggling. He loved those little buggers, as exhausting and full of energy as they are, I think that is what he loved about them most. So full of energy, full of life.

    Grampa was not a shy man. He would have no problem if spending the night walking around in his white shirt and his tighty whitey underwear to my horror, in fact I think he thought it funny when I got embarrassed by it.

    I see so much of Wally in his grand kids. As many have mentioned he was truly an outdoors man! Ella our daughter (and his youngest grandchild) got this from her grampa! She is a girly girl like me but oh...she is so much her dad and her grampa. She is not afraid to get dirty, will try anything once and routinely practices her bow and arrow for the day when she can go hunting. Aside from the time she spent with grampa at deer camp when she was little , she will never get to hunt "with grampa" but I know without a doubt he will be there in spirit. Carson our oldest , got the gentle side from Grampa and his stubbornness! Although not as daring as his sister, and a bit more reserved, he is as hard headed as they come. Each of them carry a piece of Grampa with them everyday, whether it be how they act at times or maybe a mannerism , he will live on, thru them.

    Both our kids loved spending time at grampas house and I am so so grateful in these last few months that they were able to spend more time than ever at his side. When Wally was diagnosed this last February, I asked him if there was anything left in this life that he wanted to do that he had not done. Anything on the bucket list he just wanted to do...cause come hell or high water we would make it happen. His reply..." I've had a good life, no bucket list , but the one regret I do have is not spending more time with my grand kids". So in his last few months, Matt and I made sure that every chance available those kids were at his side. Memories I hope they cherish and take with them as they get older.

    It's hard to summarize in a paragraph or two how you feel about someone or all the stories you have about a person who has been in your life for years. I thank you Wally for raising a son with your values with whom I share my life with, for being a great father in law who would out of the blue just email me and tell me how he felt about me. For being a great Grampa to our kids and loving us all. We will miss you so very much!
    Xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are going to miss you Walley. You added so much to deer camp.
    Jason Margaret Benjamin and Jacob Skaggs

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is carson macomber my grandfather is the one I admire most he has taught me well he was a great hunter I went on a few hunting trips with him I don't really remember I was little I miss him so much my sister ella macomber does to I loved him so much I can't tell you guys thanks for everyone being a great friend to wally it means a lot to us and thanks for supporting us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is Teresa, Ed Krueger's daughter. I'm writing this in tears as you know I lost my dad stated above not too long ago. I just want the family to know Wally Meant the world to us. Every time I came to my moms to look thru pass memories of my Dad, there's Wally's pictures right along with them. In fact he sent most the Hunting pictures to us. I NEVER HAD TO WORRY ABOUT MY DAD BECAUSE WALLY WAS WITH HIM HUNTING ! Thank you Wally! He will be missed by all us Krueger's over here...Love you Wally!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello- I am posting this on behalf of my dad Patrick McLaughlin, who has been looking for his army buddy Walley Macomber. He found this and was sad to learn of Walley's death, and wanted to let you know he has many stories of your dad and you can email him at: pj13448@yahoo.com


    The following is a post he would like me to add for him:
    I was in the Army from 1958-to1960 and I think I met Wally on Okinawa, we were friends for a short time, I especially remember Wally as a great swimmer, I am presently the same ags,78, if this sounds like the Wally I met, just e- mail back, and I very sorry upon hearing of his dying. If this is not the Wally Macomber....Please disregard this e-email Thank You Patrick (Pat) McLaughlin...Originally from Boston --now living on Cape Cod Ma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello...
      Ironic you message today, as today would have been Wally's 79th birthday. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last feb and passed in June. This is his daughter in law Lisa and I will most definitely pass this onto my husband and his sister and I am sure one if not both will contact you. Yes...you have the right Wally, sadly just a few months late.
      Thank you so much for responding...
      Lisa

      Delete